Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Rest in Peace Puppy

I am a huge dog lover. Starting when I was eight years old, I begged and begged my parents to get me a puppy. After years of hearing "no," I finally gave up asking. Then, when I was eleven, I was completely surprised when on Christmas morning there was a tiny puppy wagging his tail excitedly sitting on a pillow that said "Bailey." He was my puppy.


Today, my puppy, my best and most unconditional friend passed away. I love that dog so much and I miss him already. 

Here are some good memories:


-Bailey was a Christmas present, and his favorite day was always Christmas. He knew it was the anniversary of him joining our family
-Bailey knew when I was sad, and would just sit and stare at me while wagging his tail until I smiled. 
-He loved being scratched underneath his collar and on his ears.
-He loved food, and I mean LOVED. He would do anything for a treat. He would even go outside and then come back in and then try to get a treat just for being a good dog and coming back inside without being called. 
-Because of his love of food, we could teach him a lot of tricks, except he refused to learn to roll over because he hated it
-Bailey loved to play fetch with a ball. He would get so excited whenever he saw a tennis ball,. 
-Bailey slept in my bed with me. When I was in high school, he would sleep at the top of the stairs until I came home at night, then he would go into my room with me. During my first year at college, he slept at the top of the stairs all night, still waiting for me to come home. 
-He loved riding in the car. We used to have to block the door as we went outside otherwise he would escape, jump in the car, and sit in the driver's seat.
-When Bailey was a puppy, he used to try to climb up the slide, but he hated the trampoline
-As a puppy, he used to get random energy bursts and just start running around the house. He did that when he got excited too, like when I would come home after I had been away for a while (even if it was just a night) 
-Whenever we drove up to the house, we could see Bailey sitting by the window wagging his tail, waiting for his family to come home
-Bailey would always meet Dad at the door and would sit and wait until Dad acknowledged Bailey 
-Bailey pretended to be scared of Dad and Dad pretended not to like Bailey, but I know they loved each other
-He used to wake Matt up by liking Matt's ears 
-Bailey was as we called him a "chicken dog." He was mostly scared of other animals (except other dogs) but if a bird or a rabbit was in the yard and started to run away, Bailey would chase it and then strut around the yard like he was the bravest/coolest thing ever
-Bailey liked to leave the yard and roam the neighborhood. One time we found him in a garage eating the dog food that our neighbors had 
-I used to share Popsicles and ice cream with my dog. And I would dance with him and sing to him. (For example, in a song that said "baby" i would replace it with "Bailey." like "Bailey, I love you.")  



Ok, there is a lot more I could say. He was the best dog for me and my family. He was an incredible blessing in my life and he got me through a lot of hard times. I know he is still watching over me. I know that he still loves me. And I know I will get to see him again someday. 

Enjoy heaven, Bailey. Enjoy being able to hear, see, and run again. You will be missed, but I know you will be waiting for me. 

5 comments:

  1. love you too bailey! even if you did whimper at me all the time when i ate dinner over there! :) it was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my puppy passed away last week! I hope they bond up there :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bailey. i miss him. I remember once, when he jumped onto the kitchen table to eat pizza- or was it the counter?- all i know is that i was so impressed with that dog's vertical!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the memories! He sounds like a great dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful tribute! Bailey was a fun dog, one of our favorite grand dogs. Miss you Bailey. Duddly, Pearl, Ruby, and Wriggly miss you. Socks,Parker, and Sunny were there to greet Bailey.

    ReplyDelete